Thursday, June 25, 2009

NBA Draft Live Blog

Let's try to do this, I will mostly just comment on picks and my thoughts on them.

7:16pm: Apparently some big names have been traded today. And if you put Bilas, Mark Jackson and Van Gundy on a team with LeBron and Shaq they'd win a title. He's already annoying me, any way we could have Stuart Scott switch places with Michael Jackson right now?

7:22pm: 9.8ppg for Rubio. They shouldn't even show international players stats, they are just embarassing.

7:26pm: We are about to hear from Dick Vitale. I guarantee when they wake him up after the draft to recap, he will yell about some good college player falling to round 2 and international players getting taken too early.

7:39pm: Obvious #1. Glad there is one Clipper fan there with an itchy chest. I guess Yuraslov Koralev wasn't available?

7:42pm: Oh god I forgot they have fun facts. Thabeet's should be something like "Fun Fact: Has never actually played basketball."

7:47pm: So glad Thabeet went to Memphis, where we don't ever have to see him and he can learn how to play from Marc Gasol. Somewhere Jim Calhoun just passed out.

7:53pm: An asthmatic who has bad workouts and disappears in big games, James Harden have fun in Oklahoma City. Actually I think this can be a good pick, Russell Westbrook didn't want Rubio around.

7:57pm: Who knew Bilas loved Tyreke Evans this much? Maybe he took his SATs for him. I guess Rubio is going to Minnesota? Also why does it look like he's wearing so much makeup?

8:06pm: I'm sorry but I already love this guy. "I'm Ricky Rubio I don't play like anybody else". Sounds like something Starbury would say.

8:09pm: Love the draft cam. All the people in the Timberwolves draft room were just staring at the TV! Damn I was hoping to have Jonny Flynn as a Knick in case Curry wasn't there. I guess I have to hope that Golden State passes on him and goes Jordan Hill. Applause from the Timberwolves draft room.

8:16pm: I'm slightly crushed. I was really thinking we had a good shot at Curry falling there. Jrue Holiday? Jordan Hill? DeRozan?

8:23pm: Jordan Hill - you better not be the next Channing Frye. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm a little disappointed, but he seems like he could fit in with the team ok. I'm glad it's not Gerald Henderson though.

8:28pm: No surprise with the Raptors pick of DeRozan. I'm more surprised I haven't heard Bilas say the word "long" yet as a description. He wants to say it so bad though, I can feel it.

8:34pm: Did Fran Fraschilla/Nathan Lane just say that "the experiment has worked"? A guy who people thought could have been top 3 or top 5 falls to 10 and that's good? The experiment failed.

8:39pm: Could the Nets be one of the more fun teams in the NBA? Devin Harris, Courtney Lee, Skip To My Lou, goofy Brook Lopez, asian Yi Jianlian (ok that was a stretch he sucks), CDR who never plays and now T-Will.

8:41pm: T-Will just made a slight dig at Bilas. Awesome.

8:50pm: Psycho T joins Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy in Indiana. That seems like a good idea to me. Did you know he's an unbelievable competitor with a great work ethic?

8:56pm: Brandon Jennings crashes Earl Clark's party. The experiment worked!

9:03pm: I like Daye on the Pistons. Reminds me of Tayshaun Prince.

9:06pm: Can we just stop having Vitale on the NBA Draft? All he does is champion the winning college players every single time.

9:13pm: For some reason I really like Jrue Holiday, I think a lot of it is because I thought the Knicks would end up with him and I talked myself into him. But I saw him a good bunch and he showed flashes. The sixers I think are kind of a mess though.

9:19pm: Are you kidding me? The T'wolves pick another PG? There has to be a trade. Rubio or Flynn should be a Knick.

9:26pm: So Lawson goes to Denver and now Atlanta picks Teague which makes sense. Time to open some party mix.

9:40pm: Any chance the Blazers said "DeJuan Blair" and someone misheard as "Victor Claver". Probably not. Also, sad that on the Blazers "Potential Depth Chart" Greg Oden is listed as the third key reserve.

9:45pm: That was a better reaction for Omri Casspi going to Sacramento than there was for Jordan Hill drafted by the Knicks.

9:49pm: For a second I thought there weren't even highlights for BJ Mullens. "He needs to learn how to play." I think says it all. He'll be in the DL for a while.

9:54pm: Did people forget about when DeJuan Blair destroyed Hasheem Thabeet? How has he not gotten picked? Someone is going to be really happy to have him fall to them. Maybe my Knickerbockers?

10:13pm: Some internet problems going on there. Still no DeJuan Blair or Sam Young. Can the Knicks please take one of them?

10:15pm: I liked you Q Rich, but we don't really need your contract any more.

10:16pm: Toney Douglas! I'm cool with this at 29. Still would have liked Blair who now goes to the second round?

10:31pm: Adam Silver gets his own chant from the drunks at the start of the second round. Deno's Party House USA is going to be on fire tonight. Dallas and Oklahoma City officially make one of the most meaningless trades in NBA history.

10:41pm: Great reaction by Adam Silver as he reads off the Q Rich/Darko trade. These fans are overpowering him. There better be a Stephen A Smith puppet asking for cheetos on YouTube tomorrow. Also, Dante Cunningham somehow gets drafted before Blair and Young. Um, these guys were the main cogs in a #1 seed.

10:46pm: If Summers gets his act together he can definitely be helpful for the Pistons.

10:51pm: If healthy an outright steal for the Spurs with Blair. They are really fucking smart amidst all the stupidity.

11:15pm: Once Chase Budinger gets picked is when I stop blogging. Later.

11:28pm: I couldn't resist. Do the Suns love having the suckier brothers of better players on their team?

31 comments:

  1. Harden looks great. Glad to see someone with style. Who will be the first interview to mention Michael Jackson? I'm going with Terrence Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be Rubio - Michael Jackson is probably popular in Spain and he doesn't know much more English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stu Scott makes a Najera comparison? Talking about bumout comment. That's even worse than a review of Clippers picks. Glad Mark Jones put the, "how does it feel to play for a cursed franchise," question as nicely as possible. Also kudos for ESPN to keeping Scott away from the players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are Dunleavey's eyes closed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. DaJuan Blair "beasted" Thabeet this year, according to Biles. How does one go about "beasting" someone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bilas researches shit on Urban Dictionary I think.
    You feelin' the bowtie?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am ricky rubio. he knows how to talk. but i'll say this, if he were an american they'd be crushing him for all that flashy behind the back stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. one of those pgs is getting traded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can the knicks talk to the t'wolves about a PG? Do they want Eddy Curry?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's everyone's take on Hill?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think he might be wearing a Timberwolves hat before the night is over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got it, Hill and Q Rich for Flynn and Telfair. Bring the Railsplitter home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like hill objectively as a david lee type---a more athletic Lee type. So it sets up that trade? I mean he's not a back to the basket guy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When the Warriors get Amare are they going to actually be good?

    ReplyDelete
  15. When they say Earl Clark is a "shy kid", they mean "developmentally disabled", right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stuart Scott just dropped a Dickau, that came out of nowhere. Speaking of Dickau, according to Vitale all you need to win rookie of the year is charisma.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What does it take to be a martial arts champion in Wyoming?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are the Wolves planning on fielding an all-point guard roster?

    ReplyDelete
  19. PG #3. Where is McHale?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh there we go - Lawson gets to learn under Billups.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Party Mix!!! So I love Teague for some reason. Means he probably won't work out. But if you wonder how Wake went from a #1 ranking to a first round NCAA out it might because he led them assists with 3.5ppg. Sweet. Who is taking the Beej.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was really hoping Utah would take BJ. Then he can play Kosta Koufos! I know we are semi late in the first, but Darren Collison is a reach I think.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Omri! I expect to see many yarmulkes with the Kings logo on them asap.

    ReplyDelete
  24. To back up Paul on a team with no backup pg. I kind of like it. Collison will never score but he'll run an offense and defend. The run on shitty Euros has begun. Next up Jonas Jerbeko. For the record Crisspi is the second best forward on his team to ex-terp Terrence Morris. And Jerebko is the second best forward on his team to ex-terp James Gist. I love the NBA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a serious question. Does Fran Fraschilla ever say anything negative? He loves the hell out of every single one of these international guys. He doesn't really watch these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fran doesn't watch these guys. He eats food and parties with the ladies. Also the Cavs have to take Blair b/c it makes Varejao totally expendable. Also I like Toney Douglas, and lock-down defender and natural scorer. Roth agrees with me, Pat hates the pick.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lebron is gone. Congrats Loni. No one has ever heard of him. He averages 0.8ppg last year What a fucking joke the NBA is.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't believe Stuart Scott just made my DeJuan Blair point just now. This is always the way the end of the first goes, it gets totally fucked up and stops making sense. What did Pat think of Jordan Hill and Dave of T-Will?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't believe Blair is still there. Unreal. The NBA is so dumb. As Pat just said, "the wiz have like 9 guards."

    ReplyDelete
  30. Also seriously, Dante Cunningham before Blair and Young?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can see Cunningham before Young b/c Sam is 29 but not before blair. And now the Nugs take some damn Euro POS. Terrible.

    ReplyDelete